To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

HomeServe has a checklist that serves as a great way to keep proactive on home items, click the link below!

Home Maintenance Checklist

Frequently Asked Questions


Where is the library located?

The library is located in the east wing of the Srader Center, 117 E Court Street.

Is the courtyard available to the public?

A courtyard is available as a place to read, relax, or eat lunch.  Library events are held there and clubs may make arrangements to use this beautiful outdoor area. 

Does the Library have

We do offer "story time" for younger children!  YES!! Give us a call if the current schedule is not posted.

City Hall

What hours are the city offices open?

Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm.

Where are the city offices located?

The offices are in the basement of the Srader Building.  An elevator is available for your convenience. 



May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

No, burning is not allowed within city limits. 

Is a license required to drive a golf cart or SUV in Smith Center?

Yes, a license from the city is required prior to driving a golf cart or qualifying SUV within city limits.  For information on this license, please call the city offices. 

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the City of Smith Center, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.

Does the City of Smith Center hire part time employees?

Yes, for some positions.  Positions such as public transportation drivers, summer crew, and swimming pool staff are part-time positions offered by our city. 

City Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

If your bill is unusually high, there are some common issues to check.  You could have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect, or a water softener running continuously.  

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Payments are due the 10th of each month.  Payments via debit/credit card can be made by calling the office at 785-282-3249.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Neighborhood Revitalization Program

What is a tax rebate?

A tax rebate is a refund of property taxes paid. Ty Under this program, property owners may receive a rebate of property taxes on the improved portion of their real property participating in this program. Under state NRP legislation, the tax related to the assessed value of the property prior to improvement may not be reduced and will continue to be payable. 

Will I receive a rebate for the entire increase of property taxes on my improvements?

No, not all taxing entities have adopted the NRP. The rebates will be paid only from participating taxing entities. Tax rebates do not include the state levy.

Who applies for this program?

The property owner applies for this program. Even if a lessee improves real property and your lease agreement includes payment of property taxes, the property owner must apply. The tax rebate will be included as a part of the parcel's tax record for the term of the rebate regardless of who owns or occupies the property. 

Smith Center Land Bank

How does the Smith Center Land Bank acquire property?

The Smith Center Land Bank acquires property through purchase, donation or tax foreclosure.

What types of property are held by the Smith Center Land Bank?

Three types are parcels are held:

  • Parcels with a structure: existing structures including homes, garages, and businesses.
  • Buildable parcels: parcels of land without any free-standing structures before purchast, where structures such as houses or other large buildings can be built.
  • Non-buildable parcels: parcels where houses or other large buildings cannot be built, but garages, fencing, paving, or other similar structures can be built.

Who manages the properties in the Smith Center Land Bank?

The Smith Center Land Bank Board of Trustees oversees the Land Bank, which is administered by the Economic Development Director under a strict code of ethics and clearly defined policies and procedures that ensure there are no conflicts of interest. 


How can I purchase a property from the Smith Center Land Bank?

Properties available for sale will be posted on this webpage. No properties are available at this time. A property purchase application will also be available once there are properties listed.